When you have a filling, you may think that it is a permanent solution to your dental problems. However, fillings can become broken or dislodged, which can cause pain and discomfort. In such situations, it is essential to seek emergency dental care to avoid further complications. In this article, we will discuss whether emergency dental care can fix a broken or dislodged filling.
Before we dive into the topic, it is essential to understand what fillings are and their purpose. A dental filling is a material used to restore a tooth’s shape and function that has been damaged due to decay, wear, or trauma. Fillings can be made of different materials, including amalgam, composite resin, porcelain, or gold.
Causes of Broken or Dislodged Fillings
Fillings can become damaged or dislodged for several reasons, such as:
- Biting down on something hard
- Decay or erosion of the tooth around the filling
- Grinding or clenching of teeth
- Trauma to the tooth or face
Signs of a Broken or Dislodged Filling
You may experience the following signs if your filling is broken or dislodged:
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks
- Pain when biting down
- Feeling a rough edge on the tooth
- Visible cracks or chips on the tooth
Can Emergency Dental Care Fix a Broken or Dislodged Filling?
Yes, emergency dental care can fix a broken or dislodged filling. When you experience these issues, it is essential to seek immediate dental care to avoid further complications. Delaying treatment can cause the filling to fall out, which can lead to bacterial infection, further decay, or even tooth loss.
Emergency Dental Care for Broken or Dislodged Fillings
Emergency dental care for broken or dislodged fillings may include the following:
- Filling replacement: If the filling is broken or dislodged, the dentist will remove the remaining filling material and replace it with a new filling. The dentist will ensure that the filling matches the color and texture of the surrounding teeth.
- Crown placement: If the tooth is severely damaged, the dentist may recommend placing a crown over the tooth to restore its function and appearance.
- Root canal treatment: If the tooth’s nerve is exposed due to the broken filling, the dentist may recommend root canal treatment to remove the infected pulp and restore the tooth’s health.
What to Expect During Emergency Dental Care
When you visit an emergency dentist for a broken or dislodged filling, the dentist will perform a thorough examination of your mouth and teeth. They will take x-rays to determine the extent of the damage and develop a treatment plan based on your specific needs. The dentist will ensure that you are comfortable during the procedure by administering local anesthesia.
Preventing Broken or Dislodged Fillings
You can prevent broken or dislodged fillings by following these tips:
- Avoid biting down on hard objects, such as ice or hard candy.
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly.
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings.
- Wear a mouthguard if you grind or clench your teeth.
A broken or dislodged filling can cause pain and discomfort and lead to further complications if left untreated. Emergency dental care can fix the problem by replacing the filling, placing a crown, or performing a root canal treatment. It is essential to seek immediate dental care when you experience these issues to avoid further damage to your teeth and gums.
If you are experiencing a broken or dislodged filling, or any other dental emergency, don’t hesitate to contact Lotus Dental Wellness in West Edmonton. Our experienced and caring team is dedicated to providing high-quality emergency dental care to help you feel comfortable and pain-free. Call us today to schedule an appointment and get the dental care you need.